Friday, November 2, 2007

Travels

A few weeks ago I made the 8-hour drive to PA with Lea on my own. This was the first time managing a drive that length solo since the night we moved, when Lea was not even 3 months old. So I was pretty nervous but it ended up being really pretty manageable. We made two stops on the way up: one at a rest stop just south of Harrisonburg, where we had a nice picnic lunch and some good crawling-time, and one on the PA turnpike just to use the bathroom. I was so proud of my little girl for being such a good sport in the car that whole time-- not to mention facing backwards. For the ride home, I did an experimental night-time drive, and I think this is the way of the future for us. I left Exton at 6pm (just an hour before Lea's bedtime), but she had skipped her afternoon nap, so she was out by 6:45 with barely a whimper, and essentially slept for the entire drive. I did have to stop to nurse her once, but she went right back to sleep. Score.

Here are some photos from our visit Highland Orchards, the source of great nostalgia for me every perfectly crisp fall morning I can't get there. It was a Saturday in October, so of course a madhouse, but Lea had fun with the animals (and the other kids, too).

I don't know what was up with this llama, but she/he lay down very purposefully, and the goat immediately climbed up on her/his neck. So weird:








No, Lea, I don't think the goat wants to eat that rock.




4 comments:

Holly Cummings said...

It's so sad that I see petting zoo animals and think, "e. coli!!!!" What has my world come to?

And do you think it's possible that the goat WOULD want to eat the rock? They eat tin cans, after all.

PCJ said...

Yeah, maybe Lea was just highly attuned to that goat's eating habits! "No, seriously, Mom, he wants it!"

I'm so blase' about germs. Maybe that's a bad thing. We all have colds. Luckily, no signs of e. coli so far.

Holly Cummings said...

Nah, I'm real blase too. I fully subscribe to the theory of exposing kids to dirt builds their immune systems. Plus it means I don't have to clean as much. But I get tested on the weird associations, like petting zoos and diarrhea, so they're always prominent in my thoughts.

BookBabe said...

I always subscribed to the "expose the kids to germs" theory of child-rearing, too. And I only went for antibiotics in the most severe situations, since I was more worried about you developing a resistance to them. And you never got e. coli or anything like it, so I was either smart or lucky. Probably lucky.