Friday, November 2, 2007

Rounding out October

Still hunting for the perfect fall image, we took the camera to Park's Mill, which actually still grinds cornmeal on the giant stone mill. (They also serve barbecue). The mill is located just south of town, down the most mountain-y side road in the immediate vicinity, so just driving there is a lovely experience. Lea really loved watching the water coming down the mill run and going through the wheel.








When Halloween actually rolled around, we had many events to choose from. There was a children's costume exhibition Saturday evening (evening=bewildered, sleepy baby), a church festival on Sunday, spooky-story-time at the library on Tuesday, and actual trick-or-treating on Wednesday.


Fun times with neighbors Krista and Gregory



And get this: on Halloween, as we walked to Zazzy's, a black cat crossed our path. Yeee-ikes.








Bedtime for Lea the Lion.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures on all of these posts...Abingdon is indeed beautiful this time of year and your smiles are wonderful. Lea the Lion is perfect!!!! Thanks for sharing them. On Halloween here in CH we had quite a few trick or treaters. My favorite quote of the evening was from an 8 year old girl who asked, "Do you stay home every year so you can give out candy?" I think that I must have greeted the kids more exuberantly than most years because we had just had a wonderful phone conversation with Brian and Lea the Lion - complete with a few ROARs just before bedtime. What fun!

BookBabe said...

Gorgeous! The place and the people - particularly the little ones. I love the lion costume and Lea looks comfortable and happy - my two criteria for a good costume! We had a few more than usual - guess because it was fairly warm - but, typically, the middle schoolers were the most prominent. I have to say, however, they were EXTREMELY polite! Best thing about Halloween was two of our assistant principals dressing as Elvis.

Anonymous said...

I love the first pic of Brian with Lea! Adorable.

~Randi

Seth and Mandy said...

Lea the Lion is precious. But I'm really writing in response to your feminist-mama quandry of a few posts ago, but thought you wouldn't notice my new post unless I stuck it here.

So I have a solution to all your woes...just publish your own book!! You are an amazing writer, and you could work at home, take your time, and use your wisdom and adult vocabulary. Seriously, look into it.

On another note, I am so so sorry we had to cancel the visit with you and Brian. We drove up to Michigan for the funeral of one of my best friend's dad, who I knew for 25 years (out of 30). It was an intense, exhausting, powerful journey (including a flat tire at 10:30pm in Sidney Ohio, thanks to ASP we changed it in a jiff). I really want to reschedule it.

Peace and love,
Mandy

va said...

I can't believe the Lion you've captured in these pictures is so adorable! I'm seriously going crazy right now b/c these are some of the best things I've ever seen. Sure, I'm biased, but I really don't see how there's anything cuter than this little roaring lioness.

Le Sigh. My niece. :)

Megan