Thursday, May 24, 2007

Your friendly neighborhood screencap



This is the clipping that made Jack want to jump. Thoughts?

I think:

(1) That not everyone got rescued. Perhaps only Jack and Kate and the person in the casket. Jack said, "I'm sick of lying," which makes me think that their rescue was contingent on them never telling what the island was all about. Jack is crazy with guilt because John warned him. So maybe it's John in the casket, and Jack is devastated because he'd believed that John's "connection" with the island might have represented some possibility of finding the island again, and saving the rest of the group. This would also be significant because of what Sawyer said to Kate: "There will always be somebody for you to go back for." Future Kate doesn't seem to feel that way.

(2) That we are meant to ignore the fact that Walt looks like he is 17.

(3) That Charlie makes no sense. I get that he wanted to fulfill his destiny a la Desmond's flashes, but you think that would change when he realized Naomi and the Boat were not what they all thought, and that he would think for a second, wait for the room to fill with water, and swim out the porthole.

(4) That I would have stopped watching if Sayid had died. (Oh whatever, no I wouldn't have.)

(5) That Jack's father really is dead. New Chief of Surgery didn't say anything when Jack started yelling to "get my father down here"-- he just sort of looked at him with pity. I think they threw that bit in there to make us assume it's a flashback for as long as possible. (Although, I'm not sure why, but I immediately wondered, in the very first scene, if it was in fact the future.)

(6) That there was too much dying. I like this show best when it is frightening and tense but not so violent.

Anyway... I still thought it was the best season finale of any show that has ever been on television. I will miss Charlie, and actually Tom too. I'm curious to see if the rest of the show narrates from the point in time we left off with last night, with the island scenes comprising the new set of flashbacks, or if we will continue to have Island Time as Real Time, with flash-forwards.

So much to think about! So much time to wait (the new season won't start till February, people.)

2 comments:

LAH said...

ABC better provide us with some good programming to keep us entertained while we wait a lifetime for Season 4.

BookBabe said...

Man, watching this show is a LOT OF WORK!

What are you supposed to do - watch with a magnifying glass?

I'm so impressed with the philosophy angle - Jeremy Bentham? Wow! Just when I was mourning the cool esoterica of Gilmore Girls.

Nerd alert: I was telling my students that people used to read installments of novels in magazines - I wonder if people talked about what was going on in their stories, impatiently waiting for the next month's issues, the way we do with Lost and other such episodic shows.

Just love it! But FEBRUARY? C'mon!!!