Saturday, May 12, 2007

Without whom none of this would be possible


First of all, my mother had excellent fashion sense in 1981. I am loving the shirt. (A V-Neck, even-- something I had to recently convince her to accept back into her wardrobe.)

Right before (or after, I can't remember) Lea was born, my mom's old copy of Our Bodies, Ourselves resurfaced from somewhere in her house, and I got a kick out of reading all the accounts of childbirth circa 1973 or so. I guess having an "focus object" was many women's preferred method of natural pain relief. I think it's called hypnobirthing now, but the basic idea is: early in your pregnancy, pick an object that is interesting to look at. Look at it often, and train your mind to associate that object with power, and strength, and feelings of peace and serenity. Then, during labor, when you look at this object, you will be pain-free. Or something.

Anyway, after I read that section, I found a part called "Parenting Adults", and one mother-- grandmother, now-- said something like this: When my daughter had a baby, I felt affirmed because I felt like she was saying, "What you did, when you had me, was a good thing. Such a good thing, I wanted to do it myself. I accept you, and I welcome becoming more like you."

I wonder sometimes if my mom feels this way now that Lea is here and I am a mother too. I do know that I feel connected to her, and my grandmother and aunts and all the mothers out there, in ways that I never really expected. Like a secret society of the wisest women who ever lived has granted me a sort of probationary membership: I can rise to the challenge of motherhood and become like those wise women, learning to embrace this new part of my identity with grace and humor, or I can allow motherhood to overwhelm me, frustrate me, make me bitter, make me less. I am still being tested in all the fundamentals, of course... and maybe the trick is that it's always going to be fundamentals, just different ones. I'm not sure. I do know that I look forward to Lea walking and talking and pushing boundaries and exploring her world. But at the same time, I am try to never start a sentence with "I can't wait..." Because, as everyone tells me, this part will go warp-speed fast and I don't want it to pass me by while I'm craning my neck to see the next part.

I am so lucky to have a really fantastic example of confidence and creativity and patience in my mom. She's the smartest lady I know and I really can't tell you where I'd be in this whole journey (or any journey, really) without her.

Here's to ya, Mom.

7 comments:

E.S.C. said...

That doesn't look like you. Are you sure that's not me?

You neglected to mention the importance of Mom always finding things you'd lost in places you said you'd looked already.

LAH said...

Happy 1st Mother's Day, Paige!

BookBabe said...

It's definitely Paige - my hair was not that long when I had Eric.

Thanks for the lovely words, Paige, especially the endorsement of my fashion sense. And a warm welcome to the sorority - you are already wise enough not to wish away all these moments, even when you are sleep-deprived and frustrated.

Happy First Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

What a perfectly beautiful tribute!

Happy Mother's Day and much love to a wise and wonderful daughter-in-law, for whom I am deeply thankful, today and always! I look forward to sharing and celebrating many more Mother's Days to come with you!!!

Unknown said...

Just stopping by to say that I hope you had a very happy Mother's Day. Congratulations! I hope I get to see you guys soon!

FireWithin said...

YAY happy first mother's day to you Paige! :)

And that picture is almost kinda freaky because it looks so much like you.

I have always hated being compared to my mom, but I know the older I get, the more I think it is a compliment. YAY for being a mom! :)

BookBabe said...

I'm remembering that shirt - it was a knit, kind of sweatshirt-y, if I recall. Very soft. Can't believe I didn't save it, unless it was just worn so much it fell apart.