Monday, June 11, 2007

Smoky Mountain spectacular

Hey, millions of years ago, these mountains were as high and craggy as the ones in Alaska, ok? We had an awesome long weekend staying in a cabin in Tennessee, taking some great long hikes and enjoying the stars. Lea's first big wilderness adventure, and ninth state visited (NC), went pretty fabulously. You can go anywhere with a baby, I swear!




















In Cade's Cove (a small community that residents had to leave once the park was established in 1934), there are some churches. Such a young preacher for such an old church, right?

What I love is that she is literally thumping the Bible.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's to great times! I am so glad that you three had the time together to enjoy each other and being in a place that has been special to us for a long time... Preacher Lea has a commanding pulpit presence, and has already mastered the art of Bible-thumping - a force to be reckoned with! I have an old picture of me at about the same age sitting on my paternal grandfather's knee - mouth open proclaiming something and fist raised in the air for emphasis. Thanks for sharing the great pictures!

BookBabe said...

I absolutely love the picture of her looking over her shoulder at the camera - would be a great advertisement for the Smoky Mountain Tourism Bureau!

It is beautiful; still, it makes me kind of sad that the people who lived there no longer do. I know life has a way of changing, but I feel like we're losing something we'll never get back.

Did it rain every day at 4:00 p.m. like it did when we were so many years ago?

BookBabe said...

So I'm wondering why you took a picture of a crack in the asphalt and then I figure out, "Holy schmoly, it's a SNAKE!"

Love that church photo!

E.S.C. said...

On the flight from Chicago to Baltimore, a baby made noise the entire time, but I realized that I was tuning out the "neutral baby" noise -- the "baaa baaaaaa baaa" stuff that Lea does, too -- and only pricking my ears up when I heard the "beet-red baby" noise.

The Smokies look just as I (foggily) remember them. Glad you guys had a great time!