Friday, July 6, 2007

Summer=Harry Kalas on the Radio

And even though he only seemed to be doing the play by play for ONE inning-- the fourth; and even though Philadelphia Magazine is not shy about speculating that he may be losing his grip/polish; and even though the Phillies' impending 10,000th loss is making news even in Virginia Beach; and even though, to be honest, I was barely listening to the actual events of the game...

...there's something so comforting about that voice, and about hearing it, through some miracle of radio-broadcast, in our little corner of southwest Virginia, at the tail end of a very long drive. I don't know how this works, but 1210AM out of Philly consistently makes it pretty far down 81. Tonight, the game was still crystal-clear as we pulled into our parking spot. As of right now, they're up 6-4 and I kind of don't care what happens next. Call me a fair-weather fan, or an oblivious one, but the poetry of baseball has always mattered to me way more than the standings. And sorry, Philly Mag, but Harry K still feels like a poet to me.

Pictures and a re-cap of my last two weeks of traveling to come... uh, when I sift through all of the bags we haphazardly flung into the car when we left Ocean City.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. :)

BookBabe said...

Harry would love to hear what you say.