Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Lea gets her nature on

One of the cool things about Abingdon is a 35-mile long rails-to-trails project called the Virginia Creeper Trail. It starts in Damascus and winds its way slowly downhill towards Abingdon. Local shuttle services will haul you by truck up to Damascus so you can spend a leisurely day basically coasting through some really spectacular scenery. Like this.

Nearest to Abingdon, at the end of the trail, things aren't so spectacular, sad to say. I decided to combat my grumpiness (it turns out there IS a "four-month sleep shakeup," and Lea is, as ever, slightly ahead of schedule) by getting out on the trail today. It was a pleasant walk, for sure, but the recent growth in this part of the county has turned the end of the trail into, essentially, a journey through McMansionville (oh, and there's a country club too). I strolled just over three miles, and it was a nice enough walk. Just not the idyllic ahhhhh-the-mountains kind of experience I was going for. Oh well. It was fun to get Lea outdoors and wearing her most hipster article of clothing to date.





In other news, not only have we moved several hundred miles, but we also seem to have found ourselves in an entirely different decade, thanks to:

(1) The Moonlight Theatre, a drive-in(!) just a few miles from here, whose north-facing sign says "Opening Soon." The south-facing side of the sign? "See other side." I kind of think they didn't have another "P."
(2) Local milk, which can be purchased in thick glass bottles to be returned to the grocery store for a deposit. You can actually still get the stuff delivered to your house if you want.
(3) Our fantastically friendly next-door neighbors, Becky and her two-and-a-half year old granddaughter Emmy. When we pulled into the lot at the same time, Emmy rushed over to see Lea and proclaimed "I like my new neighbors!" in a tone that made you really feel like her day had just been made. Awww.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sounds like the trip was a joyous one.

BookBabe said...

Lea seems kind of non-committal about your activities - wonder if it will be different when SHE'S the one doing the walking!

You are lucky to have this resource, even if it isn't as pristine as you would like it to be.

Anonymous said...

I just saw your blog linked from Ericka's site - I love all the pictures of Lea. I'm glad to see everyone's doing so well!

E.S.C. said...

I don't know which resource Mom means. The blog? The trail? The baby? The Earth? None pristine, except for my niece, who I decree is beyond reproach.

It was freakin 68 degrees here today. Holly picked me up at work for a quick lunch, and the convertible was converted! Oh, the tease of faux spring...

Hope my comment is too all over the map. I know it can't match "Wow! Sounds like the trip was a joyous one." (Start buffing my plaque for Bad Person Hall of Fame.)

BookBabe said...

The trail is the resource I'm talking about. Sorry if I was too obtuse for you, Eric.

Almost 60 today - I have to clean out the car in case I want to convert!

Holly Cummings said...

Cleaning out the car is overrated. Just do what I and plenty of others do: let the wind clean out your car for you!